Wednesday 17 November 2010

An unknown face behind the known mask

I can’t remember where I have heard this line ‘Mukh mukhosher arale se ek achena manush’, in English ‘A stranger hidden in the face mask’. I really liked this line and surprisingly I realized we all have a range of face mask which changes with time and place. Some people will name it as change of strategies with situation. I will start to analysis about this ‘face mask’ with examples among my relatives, neighbours and friends etc. The people seem to a lot known to us.
           My uncle, who always believed that, if you have a daughter, then you should start saving. You should provide a reasonable education to your daughter to catch a high-quality groom. When I entered to an engineering college, the first comment was, now you can have a NRI groom. I became red in anger and left the place. My idea was how you can say that after being a head teacher of a school! Then, when I got the admission for UK, he was the first one who brought me the suitcase to travel. Which one is the real man & which one is the mask is the confusing question now. A man can’t change his idea about a particular subject in 4yrs! Another uncle who seems to have a pride about me, that I am an engineer. Suddenly he gave a peculiar suggestion to my father, when the news was in the air that I’m leaving for UK soon. The suggestion was, why she can’t do a job and you should search for a groom, stop all these nonsense, a single girl going to UK! This time I was not surprised, as I have already got the idea of ‘mask’.
           I should tell another story related to one of my neighbour. When he came to the neighbourhood, we came to know that he was a very well known retired SP. Then one day there was a fraud in our house. So my mother just called him to verify the matter. He came and talked to the person & as he didn’t put any question mark to the matter, my mother just gave the money to that fraud person. Latter we find out he cheated us and he usually do it everywhere. My father just said to us, now I know which kind of SP he was. This incident left me with a big question, do we see the real man for the time or only the ‘face mask’ became familiar to us day by day. 
           In my friend circle I found that lot of people became important when they got a good marks in different exams. For some people, they start to fly in the sky when they got a good job; they thought that they can rule others. Some of them left their old friends as they don’t match to their friend’s category now. So their change in acts hurts a lot at the beginning, then I try to analysis, what is my mistake. Now I know that the person I knew before was a ‘face mask’, may be this is the real person, or it is another mask! Who knows…?

5 comments:

  1. very well written..
    well juz remember ALL THAT GLITTER IS NOT GOLD..
    so ppl who hurt u wen u need 'em most are showing there true self that they are selfish and they dont even deserve to be remembered..
    and once you are with your near and dear ones you knw how the sense of security works wonder for you..
    so be careful from strangers!


    Debanwita

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't try to forget these people. they'll teach u.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice topic.you know u ll see the reality behind the mask once u r in deep trouble ..then only u will get to know about ur true frnds.sometimes u know this kind of incident makes u more experienced and stronger.so always judge properly to consider someone as ur near/dear ones..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder what provoked such a well organised synopsis of emotions... whatever it is I must say that our world is full of these 'maskmen'... Man is a social animal...For the sake of small personal and materialistic gains most of us have sometime or other have put on such a mask...but the point is we need to care about people's feeling while we put up a face in front of them...Need to care about their sentiments and be a bit more humane in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. However much we deny, each of us are merely masked and slaves of our situations, our circumstances and most importantly none other than the vicious array of human emotions and sentiments. Reinstating the very known Shakespearean notion..All the worlds a stage and we are all mere Actors in it, altering roles. ain't it? All our lives we have been just taught to hide. The real dichotomy lies in ,lives we live and that we preach. Hence there is no pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow. We have to find that Rainbow in ourselves so that we would be able to find the same in the person beside. For instance, ur Uncle whose words pissed u some 4 years back, was just an elderly person speaking out of concern for ur real future of being a Girl. However much learned he might be still he would think likewise as probably your parents are. You just cant help the subtlety of the role he was playing. But see when it was time for you to prove the real you, you proved it and it was him again, who welcomed the same with real pride as the success of his child be it Girl or Boy. Hence its all on you how you perceive it.Its in your hand how you spot that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and be content. :) :) ..
    keep it up Swati!!
    waiting for more such real writing.. :)

    ReplyDelete